Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My friend Betsy posted her New Year's resolutions, and it made me think about my own. My problem is, when I consider things to change, I get bogged down thinking, "Now is that thing really important enough for the effort it will require?" For instance, I'd like to keep my house continually clean enough for company to drop in. However, company never drops in, so it's hard to motivate myself. Also, it takes quite a bit of work to maintain it at that level all the time. Do I really care that much? It helps when we have frequent weekend visitors because I keep doing a little bit each day, thinking, "I don't want to have to work myself to death the day before they get here to make it presentable." Thus, it's been in pretty good shape for 2 weeks. So who's coming next weekend? Anyone?

The one thing I know I want to do is eat less calories than I expend, i.e. lose weight. But that has been a resolution for most of my adult life, with more success at times and dismal failure at others. I also want to be a better wife and mother - every day and night I think about that one. Particularly in the way of being more consistently laid back, less moody, and having confidence in the right way to deal with misbehavior from the boys every time (I really need to figure out/decide what exactly that entails). I feel like there are a lot of things on my mind that fall into the "need to figure that out" category... Maybe I should make a list of those and see how many I have figured out by the end of the year.

So, anyone else have New Year's resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. I have lots of things in the 'need to figure out' category. A wise person once told me that if you have the 'want to' the 'how to' will come. Does that make sense? I think it may be true.

    I've been thinking about being healthy eating, and instead of approaching it from a weight loss perspective, switching my focus to stewardship of the body.
    I'm not exactly sure what that looks like for me, but it could potentially be a healthier (emotionally speaking) way for me to look at things. Laura M. (from Wheatland) mentioned a good book a while back that I've been reading. It's about "superfoods." It makes some interesting statements....like....our bodies weren't made to exist with the overabundance of food that we have. It was made to live in a hunter/gatherer environment...berries, nuts, lean meats, fruits, and vegetables....more of a starvation mode. I think it's suggesting that back in the day...we would expend more calories naturally because we were trying to survive. Eating to live and not living to eat---I'm kind of confused on this philosophy. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:47 PM

    hmmmm - eating better is definitely on my list.
    i really want to be better about giving birthday cards. i love getting them and then i'm horrible at remembering my friends birthdays!

    ReplyDelete