Tuesday, May 08, 2007

thoughts on my kids lately

Two words Jacob has used this week that make me smile: "impressive" and "cumbersome."

I can't believe how much the boys are growing up. I'm sure it will become even more apparent after the baby is born. I remember that with Jacob after Ethan was born - it was like he suddenly realized he was a big brother with big brother responsibilities, and he took some developmental leaps. Both boys are taking care of their pottying by themselves for the most part, with few accidents. They have started to actually want to dress themselves (although they have been able to for quite a while) and to get clothes out of their drawers on their own initiative. They are doing a tiny bit better about actually crawling into their carseats in the van, instead of racing for the front seats as soon as the doors are open. On the other hand, they still need me a lot - of course. I hear from my friends whose children play alone in their rooms for significant lengths of time, and it is so surprising to me. My kids are always right here next to me, wanting my interaction with everything and requiring my intervention for discipline and squabbling quite frequently. But that's ok; that's part of why I am home, so that I'm the one mediating those events. I won't be so exhausted forever; it won't always be this hard (right? this is what I tell myself on good days).

I'm wondering if the baby is going to cooperate with my plan that he will come naturally at 37 weeks (anything between 37-42 weeks is technically full term). Oh, that would be so nice. I am so blessed and grateful not to have gotten sick, and I certainly don't want to get sick and be induced early. But if he would just come naturally a bit early, that would be great. I have never had to wait until full term and it seems like for-ev-er. I am just 35 weeks today. I really should not be whining. A friend from church is 1 day from her due date and still waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Jacob also now knows "exclusive" and he can explain the difference between Fiction and Non-Fiction which is particularly funny considering Don Miller in the first chapter of "Searching For God Knows What".

    Now that he has taking a liking to the DIY network he was also explaining to me this morning how we could take out the wall between the kitchen and living room (which I want to do).

    ReplyDelete