Thursday, February 25, 2010

Samuel talking

Samuel's language development has really grown over the last two months or so. He has said some really cute things that I wanted to record here so we didn't forget.

The first thing I remember that I wanted to share was when we were at the bank to sign our closing papers for our refinance, and the closing officer came out to meet us. She introduced herself, and then Heath said, "Hi, I'm Heath," shaking her hand. Samuel jumped up and said, loudly enough for anyone nearby to hear, "I'm me!" Of course he assumed she'd want to know who he was, too! At that time, he had recently started telling us, "I'm me." Now he says, "I'm Samuel," but not clearly enough yet for someone to understand his name if they didn't already know what it was. So, he's understanding the concept of names versus pronouns, but he still says, if we ask if he's happy/sad/excited/sweet, "No, I'm Samuel!" Right, but is Samuel happy/sad/excited/sweet? "No, I'm Samuel!"

Another thing that happened just recently was when I told Samuel in the van that he'd have to wait to pee until we arrived at the grocery store, that he'd have to "hold it." He said, "All day?!??" Then in a worried voice, "I pee Mommy's car!" I assured him that it would just be for a little bit until we got to the store. We ended up forgetting to go right away at the store, and he held it all the way until after we checked out. What a big boy.

There are so many cute things he says every day, it seems like. These are the two that are stuck in my mind right now. He is becoming more understandable to people outside the family, now, too, which is a lot of fun. He asks us each night to pray about "big cars" - i.e. that he won't be woken up and scared by loud cars driving by. This has actually happened two or three times, after which he asked us to pray for it one night, and now he brings it up every night, maybe just as a comforting (or perhaps prolonging?) part of the bedtime routine.

I looked back through blog entries from when Ethan was the age Samuel is now, and it was fun to remember the things he would say at this same age. This is when he called people "Dute-doo," and when he labeled many things as "dee-one." Samuel uses his words for "this-one" quite a bit when he wants to refer to something he doesn't know the word for, too, but Ethan used it so liberally it was entertaining. You can read my original entry about it here. This was also the age that Ethan called Jacob "Bubba" still, and yelled out to Jacob when he was performing in a program at church, "Hi Bubba! Hi Bubba!" until Jacob finally acknowledged him. Then yelled "Good job, Bubba!" when it was over. Ah, the love. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Gosh!! I can hardly wait to see you guys next weekend. Samuel and Johanna will be able to talk to each other.
    Johanna does the same thing when I call her something, "I Do-Hanna." I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's in a fun stage. and we are in the same stage of having to worry about taking them to the bathroom all the time. oh well, better than changing diapers :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail - I know, I can hardly wait to see you guys, too! It will be so fun to see them together.

    Michele - Yes, definitely better than changing diapers! I'm so happy when he does go successfully without any prompting.

    ReplyDelete