Thursday, May 01, 2008

2:45 a.m.

It's a quarter till three in the morning. I awake to Heath kicking me. Oops, I left my earplugs in, and it's my night to take care of the kids. Quickly remove earplugs and hear Ethan scream-crying something unintelligible. As I move toward his room, realize he's saying, "I want jammas!" Huh? Ethan, you want pajamas on? "Yeah, I want jammas." I move closer to his bed, and Jacob yells, "Watch out for my puke! It's behind the ladder!" WHAT? Now Ethan sobs, "It's on my pillow!"

Jacob has thrown up over the side of the bunk bed, and it is dripping down every rung of the ladder and has landed half on Ethan's bed and pillow and half on the floor - and splattered onto a haphazard pile of bedtime books.

I step back into our bedroom and tell Heath what's happened. I stand back and appraise what might be the best way to clean this up. Try to clear cobwebs from my brain.

I step back into our bedroom again. "Did you understand what I said, honey?" Heath comes and joins me, and promptly declares this is going to make him throw up. He returns to bed.

Hmmm.

Okay, first step. Have Ethan crawl to foot of his bunkbed, crawl out of bed and go get in with Daddy. Demand that Daddy get up and find new sheets and comforter for bed. Stop Mason (our dog) from his mission to clean up the mess and put him in bed with Ethan. Get out the carpet cleaner.

"Let me go get you something to throw up into next time, Jacob." He says, "I usually just throw up behind or in front of the ladder." Put a huge plastic bowl next to him in bed. Desperately hope he uses it next time.

Spend the next 15 minutes or so using carpet cleaner on the area all around Ethan's bed and wiping, over and over, the ladder, the side rails of Ethan's bed, and 17 books which are now quarantined. Go dump the contaminated carpet cleaner water and begin to clean and disinfect the bathroom sink into which it was dumped. Heath walks by and says, "You dumped it into the sink and not the bathtub?" I say in alarm, "You usually dump it in the bathtub?" We look at each other in puzzled repulsion. "We take baths in there!" I say. Heath shrugs, "I don't."

Heath puts new sheets and comforter on the bed and tucks Ethan in again, after digging out some "jamma" pants for him. I notice that Jacob is back asleep.

Finally, make myself some of the calming herbal tea Melanie gave me to try to get the smell out of my nose and quell the nausea, and sit down to blog about the adventure.

12 comments:

  1. It is now 4:45, exactly 2 hours later. Ethan has been yelling about whatever pathetic excuse he can think of to stay awake.

    In my defense I am usually the one to clean up the puke, so tonight was a role reversal. You did a great job though.

    Now I hear Samuel starting to cry... time for his bottle.

    Why did we decide to have kids?

    What a night :-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew, hope you guys have a good day. Might be time for "everybody snuggle in and watch movies so we can snooze."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Heath is definitely the usual puke cleaner in our house. That's why I didn't throw a fit about doing it last night. :-)

    I seem to remember dreaming about holding sweet, soft babies and thinking I MUST have several... No one told me about middle of the night bunk bed vomit. I suppose if childless women were able to hear such stories humanity might quickly die out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Boy!!! Is this what I have to look forward to? Hope Jacob is feeling better.
    See you next week!!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Our night was not quite as late or messy on our part. We wern't even in bed yet when Brooklen began crying (more of a loud forceful moaning) and I went to see what the problem was and she was curled in a ball threshing around screaming something about her right side. So Lowell, Brooklen and I are off to the emergency room thinking the worst. After peeing in a cup (Brooklen insists she doesn't pee or poop)several questions about bm's and lots of blood work, measuring the amount of puke that came out and being told how much liquid needed to go back in we were assured that her kidneys and appendix were ok. They have no idea what the problem is and sent us home with her still threshing around. We were home by 1:30 and she was finally asleep just shortly after that. I'm just glad I didn't have to clean up the puke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, that is awful. I hope it was a one time thing and your other boys don't get whatever it was. I too have had a few terrible nights lately, minus the puke, and have asked myself the same thing Heath did. Why did we have all these kids. I guess they're worth it, puke and all. ;)
    Hope your night tonight is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it wasn't fun for you guys, but it gave me a good laugh in the middle of a really stressful week - thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I usually just throw up behind or in front of the ladder." is perhaps the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a great story! i like heath saying he doesn't take baths in the bathtub...so no matter the puke being there, too.

    what's so funny about it all is that you're trying to do it half asleep, which is never quiet the ideal time for something like this to happen. ok, i know it's not that funny.

    we've had night time puke incidents that seem impossible to endure. as unlikely as it sounds i do believe as we began the clean up at doug's mom and dad's house one time (doug at the top of the stairs and me at the bottom....we were going to meet in the middle) there was nothing to do but laugh. crying wasn't going to help.

    this was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Our 7 yr old went to bed at 10 and didn't awaken again til 8 this morning, and is now snoozing again on our bed. No worries. I'd like to tell you that your young'uns won't worry you for very many more years either but, then, they aren't pupdogs! Hi to Mason!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just cleaning puke off a bunk bed a few months ago. I feel your pain. Middle of the night bunk bed vomit is definitely is the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man, i missed this one. great story, though.

    did you know i found the best way to keep kids puking in the toilet or other approved recepticle? go to the bank and get a stack of golden (Sacagawea)dollars. give them one for every hit.

    seriously, it works like a charm. mason recently impressed the school nurse by anouncing what i owed him when i went to pick him up. she said she would try the same thing but can't afford it. imagine having that job...or the janitor...ick!s

    ReplyDelete