Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I am the luckiest

When we were in GC recently, I realized that there is a side of Heath that I only get to experience when he is with his best friends. Watching and hearing him interact with the guys he has been friends with for 10-15 years just makes me smile. There is a side of his personality, and particularly his sense of humor, that comes out with them that doesn't come out with other people. I wish you could all experience it. (Of course, several of you reading are those long-time friends, and you maybe don't realize he doesn't act that way around people he has known for significantly less time...)

I mentioned this situation to him, and we talked about how it has to be that way, really, because when you are just getting to know people, they won't know how you mean something when you say it. So, there are quite a few things you just can't say even though they would be really funny if the person understood that you were being facetious. And also, you don't know what everyone's sensitivities are, which topics you might want to avoid joking about.

Something I remember thinking and feeling when Heath and I first met and began spending time together was that it was like we already had the same sense of humor and perspective on life. We never had that uncomfortable feeling-things-out time. Really, from the beginning, he has totally accepted me and loved me. He is really an amazing person, as many of you know. I have said many times that I didn't know there was someone so good out there for me, and if I had I wouldn't have wasted time and heartbreak on other boys. (Though I am still friends with some of those boys, and I'm sure some of them turned out to be fine husbands - just not for me.)

The other night Heath put ear buds in my ears and handed me his mp3 player. He played the song "Luckiest" by Ben Folds for me, telling me after it played that that is how he feels about me. It is hard for me to imagine that he feels that way, but I know I feel that way about him. I know I am so blessed to have him for my husband and my best friend. He is humorous and intelligent and talented and interesting and principled and fun. He is a dreamer and a skilled worker and a dedicated, diligent father and husband. I could brag on him in many other ways, but I'll leave it at this for now. As you can tell, I highly recommend him. :-)

1 comment:

  1. So do you mean that Heath isn't a big dork around other people, or that he is even more of a big dork around other people?

    ReplyDelete