Tuesday, October 07, 2008

In the spirit of honesty and openness...  

I am feeling confused, maybe even disillusioned, lately about my role or position.  Does it even matter that I am home with my kids?    

When I first started staying home, it was so very important to me. Important enough to justify major financial consequences.  I think I had a pretty good idea at that time of the reasons it was important to me, to our family.  It seems that as more years have passed, more of that sense of purpose and importance of what I am doing has faded - especially during the times when I haven't felt like I was doing a very good job.

I have to admit, sending Jacob to school precipitated some of these feelings.  As long as we were convinced home schooling was the best thing, the thing we wanted and needed to do despite the sacrifices, then there was a clear purpose and important reason for me to be home for each of the children.  Once we decided to send him to school, and subsequently saw how good it seemed to be for him, I had to rethink my reasons for being home.  If our kids are all on track to start public school at age 5, then it begins to change my perspective on my role.

Ethan, too, could be in preschool for 3 hours a day this year (and I wish he was, but that's another story).  I have no doubt he would be fine with that; in fact, he would probably love it.  It seems that he needs my involvement on a daily, minute-by-minute basis less each year.  ("Of course," the rest of you are saying, but I am slow to realize these things sometimes.)  So I already see my role changing in his life, too, and I have struggled to know what place I am supposed to have and how or why my every day, all day involvement is still important.  I provide toys and games and art supplies and books, but he seems to want to watch TV or play video games most of the time lately (of course, part of the reason for this is him being sick often during the last several weeks and needing to lie around).  I feel like I allow him too much screen time, but I'm not sure of how else to direct him.  After shutting off the TV, I am faced with a whining, complaining, nagging little boy.  So that definitely puts me in a position of being "involved" in his daily life, but not in a way that makes me feel more effective or purposeful.  So far, I have felt pretty defeated and burned out by his whining and nagging.  Even though I do my best to never give in, I don't feel like we have made much progress in breaking these bad habits.  If we ever do get past the whining and nagging, I'm not sure what my role would be with him right now.  I want to encourage him to play independently, while still being involved on whatever level is helpful or appropriate, but I'm not sure what that looks like at this stage in his development.  I also worry that he is not getting the stimulation he needs at this age because of not being in preschool (but like I said, we can't do much about that right now).  So, all this tends to make me feel ineffective and lacking direction in my role as at-home Mommy to Ethan.  

Being home with Samuel has more of a clear purpose for me.  He obviously needs my constant supervision and lots of interaction.  I know I am doing the right things for him, providing experiences and things to explore, talking to him and reading to him and encouraging him.  Being home with him ensures he and I stay closely bonded, it allows me to control his sleep schedule more closely and ensure he is getting the rest he needs, it allows me to monitor what he's been eating and yes, even his pooping and peeing, as well as noticing any illnesses he may come down with right away and monitoring those closely.  (Boy, does that make me sound like a control freak, or what?)  But more than all those things, I just love watching my kids grow and develop at this age.  It is so amazing to be a part of their growth when they are so quickly mastering their environment and their own bodies.  So, you can see, I can justify my need and desire to be home with him much more easily than I could if I was only home for Ethan and Jacob.

Maybe that should be enough, being sure that I need to be home for Samuel. But it's not enough for me.  Feeling ineffective with Ethan and adjusting to not being needed by Jacob from 8:00 am - 3:20 pm each day are enough to cause me to feel confused and unsure about my role.

I'm finding being clear about my purpose is important for my own mental health, too.  I have struggled with depression off and on for years, as I have previously discussed on this blog.  I struggle more with it when I don't feel effective in my role here at home.  And then I get caught in a vicious cycle in which feeling depressed about it actually makes me less effective which makes me more depressed which makes me even less effective, and on and on.  It's a classic problem with depression - you feel too frozen to get up and do the very things that would help you not to feel depressed and frozen. Ug. 

I'm not sure how to regain that sense of purpose and effectiveness in my days.  Since I feel comfortable in my role with Samuel, it would seem I need to focus on making sure I am doing the right things with or for Ethan during his time at home with me.  Perhaps that would restore my confidence and sense of purpose.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:20 PM

    i always struggle with my role at home with the girls, and balancing everything. there are days when i don't give them the attention they deserve, and i hate that (and then i feel guilty because isn't that WHY i'm home with them?!). i'm confident that God will lead you in your thinking--whether that means confirming your decision to be home or leading you to other opportunities. and remember how fast every stage goes--the one ethan is in right now will pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, frenchgirl. it's good to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:09 PM

    You need to remember your role as a homemaker also. Cooking, cleaning, making sure the house is stalked with it's "neccesities", paying bills, budgeting, playing taxi, nurse....I could go on forever. Plus it's not an easy job when you combine kids who destroy everything you've done as soon as you've "done" it. Seriously, a stay at home mom has many more responsibilities than just babysitting. I think if you feel unappreciated it causes those little voices in your head to make you doubt your abilities as the best possible candidate for your childrens care. I think my best moments as a mother come from making sure my kids have eaten from all of the food groups, put in my 20 min. or so of quality reading togther time, giving them lots of hugs, and sticking to their schedule (which provides ample security in and of itself). If you're really concerned about Ethan needing to go to preschool you should. I know in Garden you can enroll them at any time, they are always eager to take your money! I think it's worth checking into, even if you have to check around. Or take them to a story hour, or any kind of play group. Just getting them out helps break up the day and will make you feel like Super Woman, even if your grouchy and worn out afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:11 PM

    I can't imagine any mom who hasn't struggled with this. Sometimes it's not just our the role at home that I question...while picking up clothes or toys - when I used to be changing diapers I'd think..."Is this what I was created for? Did all my studying music, higher education, etc end up leading to this?"
    Keep on keeping on - even finding something in your talent field to do in the evenings OR at home (example- tutoring) might help.
    whining doesn't necessarily ever end but it does get better.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, you're right, there is more to staying home that just caring for the kids. I know we considered that part of our motivation when I quit my job, but after six years it's easy to forget the difference it makes in the home environment to have me here instead of gone all day. And what you said about these thoughts creeping in when we start to feel unappreciated... you hit the nail on the head there.

    C.hill, yep, I have those same thoughts about whether I'm fulfilling my purpose. Considering what is best for the kids is one thing, and it is important, but then there is the issue of the unique abilities God created in me and how he wants me to use them, even while my kids are young. Something I need to think about more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Shannon and glad you see that too. There is so much more to being at home than just being "with" your children. You are doing a great job with the house!! I did notice it the last time we were there.

    As far as Ethan, I think he may be trying to find his place in the day without Jacob. It may take him awhile but will be good for him in the end.

    As a home daycare provider, I think you being in the home with your children is the best thing you can do. I'm not saying it is wrong for parents/mothers to work outside the home but I am alarmed at how little awake time some parents actually get to spend with their children or choose to spend with their children.

    Keep up what you are doing and keep you chin up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand your post. I agree with some of Shannon's suggestions. Do your libraries offer story hours for Ethan's age group? I take Kadyn to these on a regular basis. It's free and a great way to get them used to a more socially interactive environment, not to mention getting used to someone beside yourself leading him in activities. You can also meet other moms like yourself and help meet your own needs for adult interaction. I also am a member of the mom's club. There are moms clubs all over the nation. The fee to enroll is usually like 25$ for a year and they have activities all year long that you can attend, some are free, some are not. You can pick and choose which ones you would like to attend. Often times they have scheduled play groups for the children of certain age groups and once again it's a great outlet for you to be with other adults in the same boat as you.

    I think the older the kids get, the more important it is for you to get out of the house and expose them to other kids and things which I sense is what you are feeling needs to happen anyways. There are ways to do this inexpensively if you just look around and ask. The more stimulated Ethan is the less demanding he will be on you and more content he will be too and yes, he is probably still adjusting to life without big brother around 24/7. It will all fall into place. You are doing a good job and will figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:19 AM

    the problem with parenting is that we don't want to hurt our children. Kids are cruel and hit and say mean things and teach our children that not everyone can be trusted...that true friends are invaluable...and how to believe in one's self. We tend to raise clingy children I guess. I enjoy my daughter being in a public social setting outside of myself. It gives a break and at the same time throws them into a world that I haven't created for them. It's important for me to let my child experience as many unusual situations as possible so that they can know and handle personalities of all types. So for us, homeschooling represents a bubble that protects them from the ugliness of the world..a protection that disables my child into a dependence upon the world that I have created. I cannot re-create the meanness of other kids.

    And the break is invaluable in restoring one's own self. My vote is to throw them into a public school setting and be there after school to find a safe happy home that can help them deal with the atrocities of life. That's my vote. I might be wrong, but I'm essentially betting my child's future that I'm not.

    disclaimer: my child is in part time kindergarten...not full time. Full committence to full-time will occur next year and I do cringe at the notion of leaving her the entire day with mean little bastards that I can't control.

    ReplyDelete