Saturday, March 10, 2007

It had to be his idea



We have tried to potty train Ethan a couple of times over the last few months. We would put him in underwear, and despite taking him to the potty every 30 minutes or so, we ended up with pair after pair of wet underwear. Well, Monday morning, Ethan came upstairs and said (talking to himself on the way up, not to me), "My diaper wet. I need underwear." He took off his diaper and put on underwear, and there has been no turning back. The first day we had lots of puddles, and we went through a little power struggle when I tried to remind him and force him to "try" to go a few times. But once I stopped reminding him and let him take himself when he felt the urge, he has stayed dry! I am so proud of him. He still has trouble with a certain aspect of pottying, and prefers to take off his underwear and go out on the deck to take care of that part. I've had a couple of unpleasant surprises when I opened the door to the deck. (Don't worry, we'll make sure the deck is extra clean before we have any of you over for a bbq.)

No comments:

Post a Comment