Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Captain Destructo strikes again

Heath started calling Samuel Mr. Destructo a few weeks ago, a very apt nickname considering the shenanigans he pulls off, such as pulling everything out of drawers and off shelves and dumping an entire box of spagetti on the kitchen floor - quick as lightening, before I can do anything to stop him. Then, last week we sent some funny pictures to our families, one of which was this (with a smudge for privacy):


My brother, Jeff, wrote back that Samuel looks like a superhero with his goggles on, and we told Jeff that he is a superhero - Mr. Destructo. Jeff suggested it should be Captain Destructo instead, and we all decided that the goggles alone are a fitting costume for him, since it allows him to cap off his adventures by leaving a puddle for me to clean up. (He had the goggles on from the bathtub, to keep water out of his eyes when we washed his hair. He climbed out of the bathtub by himself and took off running around the house to air dry - didn't want a towel and certainly didn't want the goggles taken off. )

Well, today Captain Destructo has been in fine form. I should have known I was in for it earlier this morning when I caught him with the safety scissors that had been on the table, opening and closing them over and over really quickly. I confiscated them and the other pair from the table and put them up high. Then, I had to go help Ethan in the bathroom. He took this opportunity to climb onto the dining room table and sweep everything off it, including a stack of school papers, a chess board and all the pieces, Chutes and Ladders, flash cards, crayons and construction paper, and some instructions and parts leftover from installing a new ceiling fan this weekend. Before I could get that cleaned up, I caught him tearing open the flash cards box and taking them out, so I put those up. Next, he brought me an Animal Baby magazine with the cover newly torn off . He went straight from there to the kitchen, where he picked a couple of items out of the trash under the sink. After I removed him from there and put the items back in the trash, he started putting crayons down the heating vent. After I dug those out and took the crayons away, he asked for a bite of the apple I was eating. I handed it to him, and he threw it back at me without taking a bite, where it landed on the laptop keyboard. At this point, I decided I should take him downstairs where there are more toys and less things to damage. We all headed in the direction of the stairs, and I thought Samuel was following like usual. Instead, I discovered he had stopped at the top of the stairs to throw some shoes down the stairs from the living room. I went and retrieved him and carried him downstairs. Now he's playing with some actual toys, so hopefully his reign of chaos is over for the moment.

It's funny, he will play alone for a long time sometimes, longer than I remember either of my first two playing alone. But when he is not engrossed in toys, he can cause a lot of destruction in a short amount of time! Good thing he's so cute to make up for it.

As a bonus, here are a couple of pictures of Jacob and Ethan, also from the set we sent to family last week. Jacob has really taken off with his reading, and Ethan loves to sit really close and listen to whatever new book Jacob is attempting to master. He even fell asleep on Jacob one evening when we were reading before bed.




5 comments:

  1. That picture of Samuel is too funny! Can you imagine what he'll be up to in a year?
    That last picture with the two older boys is one of the sweetest pictures I've seen in a long time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:39 PM

    And I'd just been thinking today what a burden a hound can be but at least when she gets the runs she wants to go outside, she knows to stay away from dogcatchers, when she steals food she asks first, and when she's leashed outside a store and slips her collar in protest, she just stands there waiting impatiently ... plus she has such limpid eyes: guess I can see how you might get hooked on a Captain Destructo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pic's and story! The crayons in the vent made me laugh. Ari has put dominoes and some magnetic numbers in ours. We just told him they were gone forever, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year at the start of winter, when the furnace starts up in the house on 5th St, it smells like melted crayons. It makes my Dad smile and laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! That sounds like a fitting title for Samual. Our little angel drew with brown crayon all over her bedroom wall today! She is always so good that I get overly trusting when she is playing by herself. But today she just got a streak of the twos and drew. Luckily for me, the magic eraser took it off!
    Oh, my mom has a pic of little keenan in the tub with goggles on!!

    ReplyDelete