Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I believe in guardian angels

I just fell in our basement with Samuel in my arms. He flew out of my arms, just as if I had intentionally thrown him. It was terrifying.

He's fine. I'm fine. We're both a little shaken up and don't want to let go of each other.

What happened is this: He climbed the bottom five basement stairs, to the landing and looked back at me with a huge smile to make sure I was still watching. He had done this at least three times already today, and just like the other times, I went over to get him safely down. Our basement floor is tile, and I don't want him to accidentally fall back down those five steps.

What I didn't take into account was that the obstacle I had put in front of the stairs to discourage his exploration would tangle my steps as I backed down the stairs and tried to turn around to go back into the family room. I started falling forward with no way to catch myself. I don't even know how or where I fell because I was just watching in horror as Samuel flew out of my arms. Strangely, he didn't land on the hard tile at the bottom of the stairs. He landed face down in a pile of clothes under a small table to the right of the stairs. The pile of clothes was enough to cushion his fall. He was absolutely unharmed. Not only did he fall to the right of where I was heading, he managed to land completely under the table, where the soft pile of clothes was, without hitting his head on the table itself. Amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, angels definately laid him there. God is good!!!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:37 PM

    whew! you could have been an amazing quarterback. i think a football is easier to throw.

    glad you're both ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank God! that's a horrible feeling followed by a really good feeling followed by some sore muscles today, eh? glad you're okay.

    i did that over the dishwasher once. still have the scar to prove it. my foot sunk shin deep in to the register when i landed. not pretty and was unbelievable had i not seen it myself. (i had the registers off b/c i was washing the floor...stopped to get a glass out of the dishwasher...forgot i'd taken the door down...tripped and landed in the vent. duh!)

    ReplyDelete