Tuesday, May 29, 2007

stupid blood pressure, stupid 24 hr. collection

My blood pressure has been borderline since last night. 135-144 over 85-94. Anything under 140/90 is supposed to be okay, but this is a little too close for comfort. I have to do another 24 hr. collection starting tomorrow morning, and turn it in Thursday, then I have an OB appointment Thursday afternoon.

This stinks. I have gotten so close to term without complications. And maybe the protein test will come back fine, and my blood pressure has just been high because I am stressed out or some other reason. If I have any headaches that won't go away with Tylenol, visual disturbances, or epigastric pain, I'm supposed to go straight to Labor and Delivery. Because you know, I could be on the verge of having a coma-inducing seizure or sustaining liver or kidney damage. (sorry if you can hear the bitterness/sarcasm there) Thankfully, I haven't had any of those symptoms so far.

I am eager to have this baby, but I really didn't want to be labeled with preeclampsia again. I was looking forward to having the experience of going into labor naturally. I guess with Ethan's delivery it started somewhat naturally since all they did was break my water to get it started. But it was too early, and I was sick, so it was far from natural in that sense.

I think one of the main reasons I am still fighting so hard against a preeclampsia diagnosis this time, even though I am close enough to term to be induced safely, is because I feel like our future is hinging on it. I really wanted to have more children after this. At least one more. If I got through the pregnancy with NO preeclampsia, it was like, wow, hooray, we don't have to be scared to get pregnant again someday! Our decision whether or not to try for another child wouldn't be about me getting sick; it would be about what was right for our family. If I do get preeclampsia again, even this close to term, I am afraid we will have lingering fears about getting pregnant again. You never know how soon preeclampsia will rear it's ugly head. I can't imagine losing a baby because labor had to be induced at 24 weeks, like one of our friends did. And it seems wrong to put a baby in that position of being in a potentially deadly uterine environment simply because I want to give birth again.

There. I guess I got my underlying feelings about the situation out in the open. Thank you for listening (if you are still reading this far).

8 comments:

  1. Preeclampsia sucks! We'll be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:50 PM

    we're praying NO PREECLAMPSIA!!
    don't bon bons, soap operas and sunbathing take away stress? get to it babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see all the updates here. i wondered if there was any aciton while we were gone. be sure to keep us posted! blessings, M-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel - Yep, that's what we were going for with Ethan! hah. Having experienced "free-birth" as well as physician assisted birth, I think I'd choose assisted if at all possible. Although it did work out fine with Ethan, thank God, and that makes me a tiny bit less anxious about the possibility of not getting to the hospital on time.

    I wonder what the women in this article think about women who stall out in labor because their pelvic bones are too small or the baby flips the wrong way, or the placenta starts detaching and bleeding... Are they supposed to somehow handle those scenerios naturally and privately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I finished the blankie today, and will get it into the mail tomorrow--so you have my OK to go ahead and have the baby now. Thanks for your patience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, you are awesome. It is a very cool blanket! Not at all what we were expecting, but even better.

    Thanks! I am sure the baby will love it.

    ReplyDelete