Wednesday, May 23, 2007

curriculum excitement

I am so excited because I have really started to gather home schooling resources for next year. Just today, I got the Sonlight Core Instructor's Guide (for Read-Alouds, History, and Bible) and the History books, the Sonlight Science Instructor's Guide and books, and the Sonlight Readers' Schedule and Study Guide. If I manage to find the books on the Sonlight Read-Alouds schedule (22 total!) and on the student Readers' Schedule (13 total!), then my Sonlight curriculum will be complete. If I don't find them for a decent price, I was thinking maybe we might just make a weekly or biweekly trip to the library, since they are almost all available there. I know everyone who has done Sonlight says they love the Read-Alouds and can't part with them after they've read them, but it is also a lot of money to buy them all... Maybe we could just choose our very favorites to purchase after reading them from the library. I also have a set of math curriculum, including instructor's guide and 2 untouched student workbooks, that I picked up for an amazing $5 at the used book sale. And I have the Abeka History Grade 1 book just because Jacob saw it at the used book sale and really wanted it.

For Phonics/Handwriting, I don't have comprehensive curriculum yet, but I have half a dozen workbooks we have purchased over the last year and a half (some he has devoured, some are still mostly untouched) that contain very similar exercises as the complete curriculums I have seen elsewhere. We also already have phonics and sight word flash cards, a writing tablet, wall charts, etc. So I am thinking perhaps we don't even need a separate curriculum for those areas. I'm sure the teacher's guides would be helpful for scheduling purposes and instruction suggestions, but I think we have most of the student materials we need. Jacob is already reading 3 letter words, and the Sonlight Readers will give him lots of practice and room to grow in his reading skills. I may still change my mind and get a comprehensive phonics curriculum, we'll see.

So, are you excited with me yet?

PS - I've only spent $74 so far. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great job!! He will be a lot of fun to teach.

    ReplyDelete