Thursday, January 31, 2008

Yesterday, I took Jacob to his kindergarten well-child visit. We started kindergarten in August, but I never got around to taking him in for his shots, since I wasn't forced to by public school. The doctor was asking all sorts of questions, including what we were doing for school. After I told her we were homeschooling, Jacob said, "Yeah, but we're behind. Sometimes we don't do anything for... like, one or two months?" I laughed self-consciously and muttered something to the contrary.

When we got home, I tried to explain to Jacob how even if we don't use every school book every day, we are learning things every day; how even if it doesn't seem like school because it's fun, that it still counts as school at this age. I further explained how although we sometimes get behind in his science, history, or geography books, we aren't behind in his reading or math - in fact, we have been able to skip ahead in math because he had already mastered many of the concepts, so that is the reason our "workload" in that area has been less.

Anyway, it was kind of funny, even if it was embarrassing to me. I'm glad he doesn't think we are doing school, in a sense, because that means he doesn't feel like it's "cramping his style." On the other hand, it makes for difficult explanations to authority figures. I'm glad he doesn't think we're doing school when he practices writing words and sentences on scraps of paper or on the white board, when we play "games" of adding or subtracting numbers that Heath or I come up with on the spot, when we challenge him to fill in the missing number in a skip-counting sequence to keep him still at a restaurant, when we ask him to tell us the time, or allow him to sneak coins from Daddy's change basket so that he can gleefully count how much money he's collected. I'm glad he doesn't think of our bedtime reading from a chapter-book and the Bible as part of his school work, that he doesn't find it unusual or particularly scholarly when I casually discuss with him the next day what he and Daddy read the night before. That's just a part of normal life.

Perhaps more people would home school if they knew how natural and simple it can be. I know many don't because they are not otherwise at home full-time. But if you are already home full-time, then it is just a matter of seizing on opportunities that are constantly presenting themselves. Getting to observe and take part in my children's learning is really a blessing and the best part of my day. (I'll tell you about the hard parts of my day in a different blog entry...)

I do have a curriculum (which I highly recommend if you're interested), a lesson plan, and objectives that I constantly refer to, but I am often able to work the material into our lives in a very natural way simply by making the books available, offering to read to them, and talking to them about anything and everything in the world. I know as we move into first grade, second grade, third grade, and beyond, the material will require more sit-down, concentrated work to master. But hopefully, our habits of learning, pursuing knowledge and mastery of skills will be so ingrained by then that it still won't feel much like "school."

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15 AM

    love it! slightly embarrassing comments don't end as they get older :).
    you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:27 AM

    i don't really like homeschooling. I know this flies in the face of something you are passionate about, so I hesitate to say it. But know this, super mamma-jenny, I don't have any problem with your passion. I don't feel like my view or perspective is necessary correct for everyone. I'd hardly call any view of mine globally correct. Every passion/belief/thought has an akilies worth considering. My akilies are so shrouded in denial that I don't have to worry about them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:31 AM

    I'd love to see a blogpost with the following title:

    WHY I LOVE HOMESCHOOLING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, boy, matches. Didn't we just talk about how we don't like to post entries on our blogs that aren't "happy"? That's why I don't post more than I do home schooling - I don't want to offend anyone.

    I did write a post along those lines about a year ago. Check out my entry from January 20, 2007. It could probably use some updating, though; I'll have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Please offend. Offend me. Offend your family. Offend your friends. Offend your kids. We (and you) will be stronger because of it. Let's get out the brass knuckles and fight over it. In the end we will be laughing or crying...but being ourselves. Part of why I like having a blog is to prove to myself that my opinion carries some weight (or that it's full of shit). No opinion is rock solid and is plagued with inept perspectives. I have a lot of opinions that I think are right, but if I don't share them and get feedback from others then I end up arguing with the invisible people that ride with me on my way home from work....and I always win those conversations.

    I say these things as a motivation for you...and me...to live them. It's hard to live as christ did: pissing off the most those who needed it the most.

    It makes your compassion that much more believable and desired. There's probably a fine line here, but you have enough 'taking care of others' that you don't need to worry about that fine line: super mamma-jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:51 PM

    nfhutrcoooooo....like the pretty new look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:52 PM

    just realized i typed in the 'word verification.' looks like I don't know how to spell 'ooooooo.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post reminded me of something that happened when I was working part time at the Eddie Bauer outlet a few years ago (I had to eventually quit because I was spending too much money working there). One night a mother/daughter pair came in and as they walked around the store, the mom would point to the price of an item, then ask the daughter how much that would be with the sale discount(half of the store was always on sale and each rack had a posted sale price like 40% off, or 60% off, etc.) I walked over to them commenting on what a great bargain the items were and the daughter informed me that they weren't going to buy anything, they were just doing home schooling math work. I thought it was a great idea! A home school lesson at the outlet store! I guess it just goes to show that you can turn anything into a lesson if you are creative, and like you said, if you do it right, the kids might not even realize they are working while they are learning because it will just feel like play, which is how kids are wired to learn anyway. And I can tell you that Jacob is definitely learning a lot somewhere because he always knows more about the Bible stories we talk about in church then I would expect from a boy his age!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Kelly, that is really encouraging! I wonder if I could entertain the boys that way while I shop... :-)

    Karmen, your posts really made me laugh. I'm glad to know you weren't just making strange noises at me.

    ReplyDelete