Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"Dodging the Homeschool Stereotype"

by Susan Wise Bauer

I suffer from a social double whammy. My husband is a minister, an announcement that generally creates a sudden clearing of space around us at parties. (I can usually see the alarmed thought passing over the face of a new acquaintance: "What offensive things have I already said?") And we homeschool our children, another conversation-stopper.

Religious homeschoolers are, as everyone knows, tax-dodging, militia-supporting separatists who spend four hours per day on Bible study, only allow their children to read books published before 1900, and think immunization is the tool of the coming one-world government.

Because of these stereotypes, I've developed my own knee-jerk reaction: "But of course, I homeschool for academic reasons," I assure my listeners. ... (continued)

I have been reading The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer (great homeschooling guide/resource!), and I found this article on their website. She expresses several of my thoughts/feelings. She also has three sons, so I already feel like we're on the same page!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:51 AM

    That must be so hard to overcome such an unfair stereotype. I can't imagine anyone who knows you or your family ever thinking you fit such a mold, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Heath is a tax-dodger, militia supporting separatist, but I would never think that of you, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read that book.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about becoming Orthodox? I don't think I've ever heard of a home schooling Orthodox family. :o)

    ReplyDelete