Tuesday, October 31, 2006

So, we finally gave in and got Dish Network. I feel so worldly (my apologies to all of you who already had Dish - no insult intended). They finally sucked us in with their $19.99 package, which of course turned into $31.98 after we added local channels and DVR. Ah well.

The funny thing is, I didn't realize how different it would be for the kids to have "real" kids channels instead of just PBS. For one thing, they have been mesmerized - there are shows on all the time! Something else that is new to the kids are commercials. I don't know how many times I have heard over the last few days, "Mommy, can we get that?" I overheard a conversation between Heath and Jacob in which Heath was trying to explain that we couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't buy everything we see on TV. Jacob sounded honestly bewildered by the idea. Whyever not? From his perspective, he had no idea that all these cool toys were available; it is breaking news and now that he knows, he must act!

So, my conclusion is that we are going to record anything they might want to watch, and fast forward the commercials. This will also prevent them from getting sucked into cartoons that I don't want them to watch, that come on after the ones that they are allowed to watch. Boy, I sound like a crazy person. But there are actually cartoons that are not suitable for kids, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment