Friday, October 06, 2006

the rules

I think I need to ask for prayer for my relationship with Jacob. These last couple of days, he has been testing me an unbelieveable amount of times each day. Simple rules, that I thought we were past, are being broken every 5-10 minutes. I know this is just what kids do, and he needs to have me reinforce the rules and be diligent, but it is really draining. I am trying not to allow my emotions to be affected as much by it today as they were yesterday, and just administer consequences for rules he breaks, knowing full well they are rules.

For your amusement, for those of you who are past this stage of life with your kids, I thought I'd share some of the rules we are having trouble with:
Don't knock over the fan.
Don't throw cars.
Don't lie to us about whether or not you wiped your butt.
Don't steal toys from Ethan.
Go to the bathroom when you need to - don't wait too late.
Don't get objects off of high surfaces that are not meant for you. (i.e. Daddy's dresser, kitchen counters, etc.)

I'm sure the rules will be about more intense, important matters later. I guess that is why I need to obtain their hearts' obedience now. I unplugged the downstairs TV and computer today so that Jacob and I could both be focused on dealing with these issues. (I'm working on the laptop right now because I am more likely to take it outside with them or close it down in an instant to deal with an incident.) I had to deal decisively with some rebellion this morning, but it seems he is doing better right now.... playing outside here nicely. I gave him some stickers for helping to put away some books, and that is always a good motivator for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment