Friday, July 25, 2008

thoughts since my last post

I had some interesting responses and discussion generated by my last post, both on and off the blog. It makes me think and reevaluate, and that is a good thing. Here is some of what I learned from the discussion.

For one thing, I will concede that there are some good reasons behind children entering school when they do, rather than an earlier or later age. Like I mentioned in my last post, this age does correspond with a stage of development in which the child becomes able to focus on and enjoy learning and find satisfaction in the accomplishments it provides. Furthermore, like my friend Kelly pointed out, the research indicates that 90% of the connections in our brain are formed by the time a child is three years old. So, the first three years of life are the most critical for introducing and reinforcing important neural pathways in the brain, including the neural pathways for forming secure attachments with primary caregiver(s), connections which provide a framework for further emotional and social development later. (This is my understanding from the little bit of reading I have done on the subject, anyway. There are many more articles and books I'd like to read.) So, if you have a classroom education in mind, I can see why around age six might seem a good time to begin.

In light of this point, perhaps "attachment" was not the best word for me to use to describe my concern about my children being away from me for the majority of their waking hours. Maybe it would be more appropriate to speak in terms of the priority of family life or the influence of the family in a child's life, as opposed to a primarily peer-influenced, peer-dependent childhood? I am still working some of these ideas out in my head and trying to articulate what it is I really feel or believe about them. I know many of my friends maintain the priority and influence of family in their children's lives even though their children attend all day school. I am not saying home schooling is the only way to do this! It does seem to be a simple way to accomplish it, though, at least at this stage in the life of our family.

I also continue to question the number of hours in a school day for young elementary. I see that children this age may be ripe for learning and ready for the curriculum, but I don't see that spending seven hours a day in this pursuit is either necessary or the best use of the hours in their day at this age. I see how the current strategies work well for a classroom full of children, in order to reach the students at various levels and with their different styles of learning, and how seven hours a day would be required to implement these strategies and methods. Yet, as long as I am able and willing to teach Jacob one-on-one at home, we can cover the material from the school day in much less time. I'm not saying that the children whose parents choose to send them to all day school for whatever reason are experiencing any harm by being in school for as many hours as they are. However, if by teaching him at home, I can free up more hours of my child's day for other pursuits, then that seems like a good thing.

The objection that someone might bring up at this point is that although I can cover the material more efficiently at home, I don't have the training or experience that a certified teacher does. However, I would counter that although I don't have experience teaching a classroom full of children, I do have the advantage of having experience with my particular child and the way he learns best. I do strive to educate myself regarding the best teaching methods and curriculum choices, and I have instructor's guides to help me stay on track and cover the material effectively. I think the fact that I can tailor his education to his particular needs, interests, and pace can outweigh the benefits of receiving instruction from an experienced classroom teacher who is balancing the needs, interest, and pace of twenty or more students.

Although I know many who read my blog already see some of the benefits of home schooling and are not totally opposed to the idea, I know there are a few who read that can't fathom why I would not simply choose the public schools. Many see the public schools as one of the great opportunities given to those of us lucky enough to grow up in America, an opportunity anyone would be crazy to forfeit. After all, we get a better education than most of the rest of the world, and we get it for free! Yet, some of the aspects of public education that might be espoused as virtues or accomplishments by this camp are the very things that concern me. The idea of creating a certain type of citizenry through public education, or encouraging certain state sponsored values, concerns me. This is all well and good as long as they are values I share, but what happens when they aren't? I am thankful we are not required to submit our children to public school teaching if or when it contradicts our values. In addition to this is the concern that our children would be conditioned to merely take in and regurgitate material for a test rather than eagerly exploring a range of material and ideas and learning to examine them logically and critically. This kind of teaching and learning "to the test" can cause students to burn out and become uninterested in learning and eager to be done with it, as opposed to our goal of helping our children to remain eager, life-long learners and to become critical thinkers.

The final concern some of my friends and family have posed is that despite whatever advantages there may be to home schooling for the child, those advantages don't merit whatever it costs me personally. I guess the only way to answer that is that for now, I'm still willing to pay the price personally and for now, at least, the advantages that I perceive we are gaining seem worth whatever it may be costing me. But as you can see, I am not criticizing any one else's choice for the education of their child, and we are keeping our options open should another option become necessary or prudent for our family.

9 comments:

  1. Very well said!!
    Since I plan to home-school Johanna I am glad you are doing it first.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Auntie G. WELL PUT JENNY!!!!
    As a previously home-schooled girl, I can attest to schooling taking less time at home. My mom started promtly at 8am every morning and we were always finished by 1 at the latest. I was also active in a homeschool group and we had MANY wonderful field trips, attended statewide competitions, and more! I hope I can do as well as my mom did when my turn arrives to homeschool Charis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have contemplated homeschooling for some of the same reasons as you. As a former school teacher, my biggest concern with public schools is that you can't control the way the other children are being parented. Thus, your child will be exposed to some children who have less than desired morals and values and peers have a significant influence on our children.

    Also, teachers are becoming burnt out in big numbers because of increasing demands placed upon them by the state. Their classroom classroom sizes have increased and the amount of material they are supposed to cover in a designated time has increased significantly. This has made classroom management more difficult and also created teachers who only teach to the test out of necessity to "make the grade" as a school. Children's individual needs are not being met as well as they once were.

    On the flip side, I do think kids can go to public schools and still have a good outcome. If they are raised right and their education is supplemented and supported at home, it is reasonable to think that a child should be able to go through the public school system and be successful.

    We are currently on the fence with homeschooling. My husband really fears our child won't be properly socialized and doesn't want our daughter to miss out on some activities schools offer. I know homeschooling done the right way addresses these concerns but I'm not sure he's convinced of that. I guess thoughtful prayer and time will help us know as God guides our hearts as to what the best decision for our family is.

    One thing we both agree on, however, is that children, IF POSSIBLE should be raised by their parents for the first 5 years of their life rather than by another care provider. These are the most precious and formidable years. It sets the tone for all the years to come. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:58 PM

    Wow! I was intrigued by your blog when I saw the name of it. However, now I think you should change it to "Homeschooling is a far superior method of education and all of you who choose public schools are creating a brainwashed army operating for The Man and you can't possibly love your children as much as I do".
    Seriously, do you think that you are making informed and unbiased decisions here? It appears that you have some serious issues with the public school system and fail to see any of the actual benefits of sending your child to a place outside of the home. Socialization, decision making, being a beacon of light for those that have less than stellar parents, activities, etc. All these are incredibly important to children in this society and, yes, your children will eventually have to become a part of this society. Is it your suggestion that it is better for them to learn the norms of society when they are 18,19, or 20 when they venture into the world on their own? If it's a mild challenge when you're pre-adolescent then it is an impossible mountain when you are not yet an adult but on your own. Because, truthfully, your children cannot and will not be fully socialized by you. Your family is it's own little culture that does not operate completely within the norms of society (that's just how it is).
    Those things aside, have you taken into consideration what you are setting your children up for in the future? If you have sons, they will have been doted on and coddled by mommy their whole formative years. You set them up for never having a satisfying relationship with any real woman who won't bow to their ever whim and desire. If you have girls, then you are creating children that are the absolute center of your universe and will expect that anyone she/they encounter in the future should treat them with the same such reverence.
    As far as your concerns about teaching to testing, I fully agree that something has to change in the public school system. It is my belief that the current administration has far worsened the system with its No Child Left Behind Act and it is time for the Act to be repealed.
    Your concern about "state sponsored values" leads me to conclude that you assume by putting your children in public school you take a completely hands off approach to your kids from that day forward. It seems that talking about what a child learns in school each day presents you as a parent with the unique opportunity of explaining that not everyone believes the same things. And, that you as a family believe x while the school system may teach y. So often disagreement between beliefs is a cause for war. Wouldn't it be far better to take the opportunity to teach your child about the need for open discourse on subjects that are controversial/different.
    It sounds like you are not ready to let go of your children yet. If you just said that I don't think anyone would see it as horrible. Instead you condemn those who choose public schools although you make your "disclaimer" claiming this is not the case. Your rhetoric and criticisms say otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie,
    You're right, I am not ready to let go of my children yet. They are 1, 4, and 6, so I think that's okay. Like I said, each year, and really continually, we keep our eyes open to try to make sure we still have our children in the right setting. Some of our concerns are specific to young elementary, such as the large number of hours in a school day for a young child. Other concerns - like keeping family a main priority and influence and avoiding any agenda or set of values from the public schools that doesn't match ours - can indeed be addressed in the after-school and weekend hours. However, home schooling seems to be a simple, direct way to address our concerns.

    Obviously, you don't know me (unless you are using a fake name?), or you would know that I really don't hold any contempt or judgment toward my friends who make other educational choices for their children. I get questioned about what we are going to do for my oldest child's education quite frequently as we approach another school year, so it seemed timely to formulate my thoughts into words and put it out there for those who want to know. I listed my reasons and concerns, but I know others have their reasons and concerns (and/or ways they address my concerns) that have led to their decisions. Not only that, but I can't think of a single person I know who reads this blog that is in a very similar situation to mine (one child going into 1st grade and two other small ones at home - please forgive me if I do know you and I am forgetting you). So I realize and respect that each person's situation brings unique considerations to the decision-making table.

    And of course, I realize that my children have to be socialized by people other than me, and that they will eventually go out into the world on their own. I intend to do all I can to make sure they are ready for that day. However, I guess I favor a more gradual, controlled approach. Just because I am not immersing my 6 year old in a classroom full of same-age peers doesn't mean I am not exposing him to a variety of people and situations that he will deal with in society. Through our activities with friends/church, in the community, and with our home school group, I bet he gets as many hours of interaction with other kids each week as public school kids do during recess each week. Granted, he doesn't get to sit next to them for many hours each day in a classroom, but I don't think we can really count that as time he would be socialized, can we? Children do gain skills and knowledge to help them succeed in the real world during classroom time, but I don't believe these are the social functioning skills you mentioned.

    And the final thing to address... my three sons, doted on and coddled....hah! That image really made me laugh. You've obviously not met my rambunctious, independent, tough little guys. I worry I expect too much from them, and that I am not gentle enough at times. If anything, they are Daddy's boys, not Momma's. I guess I won't worry that I am not being gentle enough, since my school choices take care of the doting and coddling. ;-)

    Ok, that is more than enough to say in response. Thank you for reading, and I am sorry you were so offended. I did labor to keep my comments inoffensive, but sometimes it is impossible.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't find anything in your post that should be offensive. You were stating YOUR thoughts/feelings. There was no condemnation. Considering you have educators in your family, you handled the topic very well.

    As for me, the exposure to children with parents that don't share my values is exactly one of the reasons my daughter will not go to public school for awhile. In four years, when she is ready for school, who knows what society will be like.

    Johanna Faith's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. had to come check out all the hub-ub.

    dang girl! i bet leslie didn't even come back to read your response---too bad!

    last time i checked blahgs were supposed to be opinionated by the person writing it? could you please read some strangers mind next time? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was slightly heated on my last comment, so I trashed it and am starting over. Ever since my parents' decided to homeschool my brother and I when I was 10, I have heard exactly the kind of thing that Leslie said phrased about 100 different ways. There is a misconception about homeschooling. Like the parent/teacher is some freak who locks her kids in a dark room to study and never lets them out to socialize.
    My experience with homeschool families has been so incredible and that is one reason I am inspired to try it myself. I did enjoy attending public school for high school. By then, my self-motivation to succeed and rise to the top was already instilled deep within me, was were the morals taught at home. But had I continued to homeschool, I have no doubt I would have been a warped, under-socialized nobody.
    Melanie-Pearl is right, Leslie probably won't check these comments again. You do not owe her an explanation. She has obviously never spent any time with families who homeschool.

    ReplyDelete