Monday, January 15, 2007

My maternal Grandma passed away at 12:30 last night. I found out this morning.

I remember as a child thinking that my grandparents just couldn't die - I couldn't fathom it, they were such a big part of my life. We saw my maternal grandparents almost every day, and they added richness to our lives and upbringing. As I've gotten older, and now have my own husband and children, I can see that of course it is the natural course of things that our grandparents aren't a part of our lives on this earth forever. However, my memory of her, and also of my grandpa who passed away a few years ago, will continue to impact me for the rest of my life.

Grandma served her family with all of her energy. She kept an immaculate house. As I mentioned, I was there almost every day growing up, and it was never in any way messy or dirty. She worked to create a peaceful atmosphere in her home, and the peace there was tangible. She cooked every meal, and made almost everything from scratch. I remember watching her roll out dough for homemade noodles, cinammon rolls, fig cookies, and pie crusts on her kitchen table. We all gathered around that table to visit and laugh - because there was always laughter when the family gathered around her table - and inevitably, to eat whatever goodies or meal she was cooking. Her home was inseparable from who she was, and when I think of her I almost always think of her in that context. When I think of how I want my home to be, I model it after her.

Grandma never sat down. This would, at times, annoy members of the family who wished she would allow herself to relax, maybe watch a show or play a game with the family. But instead, we gathered around her table to talk with her while she kept busy. When we were in grade school, and my mom went back to work, Grandma would keep herself busy by stealing clothes to iron from our house. When we'd walk to her house after school, there she would be finishing a huge pile of ironing to send home with Mom.

I remember hearing her talk about her faith, and how grateful she was for Grandpa's spiritual leadership. She said she never would have known God like she did if not for Grandpa. I don't suppose they ever did family or couples' devotions together, but they showed their love and devotion to each other and to God through service. They served their biological family and their church family as much as they could, and when they spoke about God and told Bible stories it was while they were serving. I really do think my Grandma saw all the activities she did as a gift of love to those it benefited. I don't think she did it because she couldn't stand a dirty house, or couldn't stand to sit still. She did it because she felt that it was the right thing to do for her family.

I guess I can't say that Grandma was always working in her home, because she also loved to shop. If she didn't have a reason to get a new outfit for herself of Grandpa, she would buy one for some other member of the family. Often times when there was a special occasion, she would want to take Mom and I shopping for a special outfit. It was part of the joy of preparing for and anticipating the event.

Of course, Grandma had her quirks and we all got annoyed at her, as she did at us, from time to time. Every Sunday morning at church during my high school years, she would ask me where my lipstick was if I wasn't wearing any (which I usually wasn't). When I went through my "grunge" clothing phase she was pretty horrified, especially when I dyed my hair dark red for a while. During this time, I had a particular cardigan sweater and a particular polyester shirt, both from a secondhand store, that she would constantly ask me to get rid of. When I was younger, and I guess the ironing had run out at our house, she tried cleaning my room a few times. That became a major conflict between us for a while, but we moved past it. As I got older, I began to understand more of what I considered her quirks, and to appreciate her strong points.

The funeral will be on Friday. I thank God that she was my grandma, and I thank Him that she believed in Him.

4 comments:

  1. I am very blessed to have been able to know her and been included in her family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear of your loss but happy to know that I will one day get to meet your Grandma in Heaven. I know how neat Grandmas are, especially when they know the love of God. It is wonderful to have the peace in their passing to know that they are now with the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to read about your grandmother. She sounds a lot like mine was. Bless you all as you adjust.

    ReplyDelete