Wednesday, January 10, 2007

cared for well

I have been sorting through big plastic tubs of baby and little boy clothes today. I had forgotten how many adorable clothes we had for Jacob and Ethan. I feel so blessed that my two older boys both got to wear many of those clothes, and now even a third baby will benefit! I am especially grateful when I come across an outfit that was only worn one or two times by one of the boys. The amazing thing, as I was sorting through the clothes, was realizing anew that almost all were given to us by friends and family. I saw one inexpensive set of three newborn gowns that we bought for Jacob, and another inexpensive set of five 9-12 month size onesies* we bought. That is all the clothes that we bought for the whole first year! The same goes for most of our baby gear, almost all being given to us; although we did buy ourselves a few things after the babies were here, when we knew more about what we needed (or thought we needed).

It reminds me of the verse that says, "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." 1 Timothy 5:8. When we had Jacob and Ethan, we didn't have any money saved to buy baby stuff, but our biological and spiritual families made sure we were taken care of, even better than we would have taken care of ourselves.

I'm soaking some of the clothes that came out of storage with yellow spots around the collars. I have heard of this phenomenon before; you put clothes away apparently clean, but old stains rise to the surface while they are in storage. They are probably milk stains. Any suggestions on how to get them out? I am just soaking with detergent and hot water now since I was out of oxi-clean.

*As a side note . . . when I was pregnant with Jacob, Heath thought that the word "onesies" was a made-up word that only my family used. (In case you thought the same, I'll clarify that it is the trademark name for Gerber Baby bodysuits.) This doesn't say anything about Heath, since most men who don't yet have children (and probably many who do) wouldn't know where the word came from. Rather, it says something about my family and our made up words. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's a good thing you are having a boy. Since Aunt Gail is busy buying clothes for her own Johannan Faith, she won't have the money to spend on this next little one like she did the first two. She will however, love him just as much. He and Johanna can be playmates.

    ReplyDelete