Friday, August 22, 2008

boxer book

Jacob has a 3-ring folder that he brings home from school each night called his "boxer book" - because it has a picture of a boxer on the front, his teacher's favorite dog. He was very excited to purchase and bring home his boxer book the first day, and as Heath watched me eagerly examine it, he teased me that I was as excited as Jacob was to get it. I think I was. It has a behavior chart, a folder with a book to read each night, a folder with homework and graded papers, a lunch menu, school calendar, notes from the teacher, a zipper pouch for lunch money or notes from home, a log for recording minutes spent reading, etc. Just the sort of thing I find fascinating and satisfying.

So, today in the boxer book I found a neat list from Jacob's 4th grade buddy (his teacher matches them up with students from a 4th grade class in the building), and it told of certain "favorites" for Jacob and his buddy. I thought it was enlightening and amusing, so I'm sharing it with you.

The first answer is Jacob's, the second is his fourth grade buddy Elijah's:
Our Favorites!
color - red, red
food - meat, chicken
TV show - Cyberchase, basketball
season - summer, winter
vacation - no, Orlando
animal - zebra, tiger
place - Exploration Place, home
drink - water, apple juice
dessert - popcicles, brownies
vegetable - no, corn
I want to travel to... Disneyland, Hollywood
In like to... play, play basketball
In the winter, I like to... play in the snow, play in the snow
In the summer, I like to... swim, play basketball
Favorite thing in school... art, math
If I had $50, I would spend it on... toys, toys
I also like... golf, amusement parks

6 comments:

  1. Hah, on Vacation he put "no" b/c he has never really been on one, just GC and Medicine Lodge. Of course he put "no" on Vegetables!!

    Take the kid to the driving range once and now golf ends up as something that he likes... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cute Jenny! I'm glad that Jacob's adventure into public school is working out well for both you and him. I think you and Heath are very brave to be willing to change course and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! Isn't GC a vacation?
    I could have guessed his favorite vegie.
    Really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:06 PM

    how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:08 PM

    my kiddo doesn't say all done, but he does say no. he sounds more like a cat when he says it, so here is our process.
    1. tell him no
    2. he meows back
    3. we meow back at him and no one really learns that no means anything besides a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete