Friday, February 15, 2008

Here are some funny things from this week.

On a sunny afternoon, I tried to vacuum up some leaves in the yard that were left in a pile from the fall, so I could consolidate them and put them on the mulch pile. After trying for a little while, I said, "Well, it's not going to work today; they are still too wet." Ethan had been closely watching me work, and he said, "Yeah. Cause I peed on them!"

After working and playing outside that day, we tracked in some mud, which I've been picking up off the floor for the rest of the week. I finally did a comprehensive sweep of the downstairs floor after the following event. I heard Samuel whimpering for help, and I looked over to discover he had pulled up on the walker, which was slowly rolling away from him. He looked up at me beseechingly, with a circle of dark mud around his mouth. When I scooped him up to rescue him and clean him off, I discovered he was still hoarding pieces of mud he had found off the floor in his cheeks.

Just last night, Jacob and Ethan asked us to "time" them while they raced up and down the hall from the living room. We told them we were talking at the moment, but that they could count for themselves. Jacob said, "But I don't know how long a second is!" I said, "Oh, here's a trick Grandma Bonnie taught me. Say one-thousand-and-one, one-thousand-and-two..." Heath interrupted me, laughing, and said, "No, that's way too slow!" And demonstrated the right speed (or so he says!) to count for seconds. Then his face lit up, and he said, "That's it! That's why your internal clock is off! We can trace it all back to your Mom teaching you to count seconds too slowly." (Because I am late everywhere and continually underestimate how long tasks or events will take.) I was not amused. But maybe you will be, therefore I share it with you.

3 comments:

  1. You and your silly boys! I laughed outright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:08 AM

    this was great!! ok - vacuuming the leaves i found funny - vacuuming peed on leaves was hilarious. i love your family!
    ps. be happy it was mud in samuels mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I should clarify that it was an outdoor vacuum thingy - a leaf-blower that you can reverse to suck up the leaves and mulch them.

    ReplyDelete