Monday, April 23, 2007

recent events and thoughts

Today at the playground, Ethan pulled down his pants and underwear to his ankles and peed on the sand in front of the playground equipment. Two moms sitting closer than me saw it first, and of course he was done before I could reach him anyway. You just get used to the embarrassment as a parent, don't you? You hardly even notice it anymore. Maybe my gratitude that he didn't pee in his pants overshadowed my embarrassment.

I am starting to feel like the baby will be here really soon. I am trying to ready the house and myself. Isn't it strange how baby items disappear between pregnancies? Of course, we have moved twice, so that would explain a lot. But I can't locate our bassinet sheets, my Avent pump, several maternity shirts, and probably quite a few other things I haven't noticed are missing yet. I know it could be much worse. It is more puzzling than worrisome. The baby's room is still far from ready, the worst of it being the flowered wall paper. I tell myself I have until 3 months after he is born to have it ready, since he will sleep in a bassinet by our bed at first. But I know that really I want it done before he arrives.

We are visiting GC this weekend. It is the last weekend I can travel, according to my OB's recommendations, and there are a lot of people in GC we haven't seen for too long. My dear friend is moving from GC all the way to California, and now I wish we had visited more often over the last 20 months. As long as someone is within the state they don't seem too far away. Even though our move meant reducing our contact with friends and family in GC from several times a week to half a dozen times a year, anyone else moving away seems like a bigger change. I guess it depends on your perspective, whether you are the one moving or being moved away from, doesn't it?

Our grass is coming up in the backyard, and it is so lovely. We had virtually no grass last year. Our spring planting was flooded by weeks of rain, so there are patches with no growth where the seed was washed away. But the rest of the yard, where it is coming up thick and lush, makes up for it as far as I am concerned. Maybe I'll get a picture of it on here in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head there. When you're moving, it's all new and exciting. When you're being moved away from, it just sucks.

    ReplyDelete