Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I recently lost two checks worth almost $800 together. I had received the checks as we were frantically packing up to leave GC last weekend, and my brain just lost the memory of where I had put them. I had a vague memory of putting them somewhere I thought was safe, and I had checked all the safe places I could think of. So, I emailed my mother-in-law and my aunt-in-law to see if I had left the checks there, and my mother-in-law emailed me back and said, "Pray, God knows where it is. Ask him to reveal it to you or us."

So, that night as I lie in bed, I prayed and asked God to help us to find the checks, to bring to mind where they might be. An image flashed in my mind of a white folded paper that I had seen in my wallet earlier, when I had pulled out the insurance cards to pick up Jacob's prescription. At the time, I had thought how it didn't look like a receipt (because I couldn't see the type on the other side), which is the only thing I usually put in that compartment, and I wondered absentmindedly what it might be, but then I was immediately distracted by talking to the pharmacy tech. So after seeing this image in my mind, I immediately called to Heath, who was still up, and asked him to please bring me my wallet. Of course, that white paper inside was the envelope containing the checks.

I was just so amazed. And I shouldn't be, because I know the power of God (as much as my limited mind can at this point), and I know He can do far more than show me a picture to jog my memory of where a check is. But it was just such a great reminder of how if God can handle the little things, then He can certainly handle the big things. If he can show me where my checks are - checks, which could have been replaced, not even cash which would have caused a considerable loss - then surely he can take the extra weight off my body or preserve my health or smooth over a relationship or grant Heath favor at work.

It reminds me of something that happened while I was fasting, and only drinking hot tea with sweetener and a little milk. We were going out of town, so I had grabbed a handful or two of Equal packets to put in my box of tea bags. I finished the box while I was out of town, and as I got down to the last tea packet, there were exactly the right number of Equal packets to go with it. "How strange!" I thought. But as I was standing there at the counter with them in my hand, God spoke to me and said, "If I can arrange such a small thing as this, don't you think I can arrange to give you this house?" It was an amazing reassuring moment. We had a contract on the house that we are now living in, but our financing was far from secure. We both felt like God had told us we were going to get this house, so we felt that it was surely going to work out somehow, but it was hard to see how that was going to happen. It was a very stressful time. At any rate, we were sure that whatever happened, it (we) would be fine, even if we had heard God wrong. (Like the Hebrews in the fiery furnace, "We are sure our God will save us, but even if he doesn't, we will still praise him!") Getting this reassurance was balm to our souls and strength to keep our faith and comfort in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment