Tuesday, December 28, 2004

housekeeping

I stink at housekeeping. No, really. It's hard to imagine I could be good at it with how little effort I put in.

I think about my Grandma, who washed clothes and dishes by hand and ironed everything, swept and waxed her hardwood floor, and mopped on her hands and knees. I have a dishwasher, washing machine, and vacuum for my fully carpeted house. But do I use them? No, I sit here on my butt for most of the day. Well, not really. I do spend quite a bit of time changing diapers, filling sippy cups and making bottles, feeding us all, separating the boys, discipling Jacob, helping with toys etc etc. But somehow it seems that I should be able to do all that and still keep a spotless house. Right?

Do you think there were bad housekeepers in our Grandmother's generation? If not, what did they do with their kids all day? Did they learn not to interfere while Mommy does dishes or laundry? Because if I open the dishwasher (or refridgerator for that matter) my kids are right there reeking havoc. I spend as much time keeping them out of the way as I do with the actual chore.

Actually, I think I could keep up with the basics if it weren't for all the junk everywhere. Could people please stop sending me mail and giving me more things to find places for?! No, really, I do appreciate the Christmas gifts we received, but life would be much simpler without any more mail. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment