Friday, November 07, 2008

friends

Does anyone remember when I said in a post a while back how I was concerned that Ethan was missing something by not going to preschool? How I was concerned that he wasn't getting appropriate stimulation, that he seemed bored and restless at home with me all day, and wanted to just play video games and watch TV?

Well, Jacob's friendship with the neighbor boy, who we call Ethan H. in order to distinguish from our Ethan (yes, it is confusing), has been a double blessing in that Ethan H. has a little brother, Aiden, who is 4, just like our Ethan. At first, our Ethan would only go over to their house with Jacob after school and seemed to be more interested in what the big boys were doing (i.e. cool video games) than what Aiden was playing. But gradually Ethan and Aiden have developed their own friendship, and now Ethan wants to have Aiden come over during the day. It has worked out splendidly. I feel like it's mini-preschool for him, a chance to socialize and learn to get along with others his own age, minus circle time. He is no longer nagging me or sitting in front of a screen; he is outside hunting monsters or rediscovering his toys in the playroom through the fresh eyes of his friend. It is a really a huge blessing. I feel like God has met our need in a way that I could not have anticipated and in a way that I am actually more pleased with than I would have been with taking him to preschool, I think.

Here are a couple of pictures of them being silly today. Notice the weapons they carry, which are vital to backyard adventures, where droids or monsters may need to be killed at any second.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Isn't that so cool? After reading this post I have remember some of the things you've wrestled with over the past few weeks. It sorta looks like a few of those things have been resolved. I am always interested, in the aftermath of our hard times, to see how God answers things in ways that we hadn't imagined for ourselves. They're really so much better than what we had originally been wanting or praying for.
    Yeah for Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! I just can't believe how much Ethan is growing up. I'm glad God has been answering prayers for Ethan.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 PM

    yeah for friends!!!

    ReplyDelete