Sunday, March 16, 2008

GPS units are one of those things that initially I didn't see the need for. Other items in this category are DVD players, ipods, and laptop computers. Let's just say I'm not a big visionary when it comes to technology. Thankfully, my dear husband has patiently explained the benefits of each of these devices to me until I was willing to try them and finally see their benefits for myself.

The GPS that was Heath's Christmas present from his parents is the newest technology I am discovering for myself. Of course, as with the technological gadgets that have preceded it, I am quickly becoming convinced of it's life-altering potential, and soon I won't know how I lived without it.

Just now, as I was coming back from Starbucks, I had to turn right instead of left because of church traffic. This was going to take me a mile out of my way driving home. I turned on the GPS and it immediately calculated a shortcut through the twisty roads of the residential area between Starbucks and my home. I felt so savvy as I zipped smoothly and confidently through the area that I normally don't enter because of its ability to completely undo my sense of direction. I emerged with amazement from the maze of streets with my house in sight just across the road. Very cool. I have a feeling Heath and I will now be vying for the passenger's seat instead of the driver's seat whenever we travel.

2 comments:

  1. That's neat! I don't have much use for the one I got for Christmas yet but will use it next weekend in Amarillo.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete