Thursday, October 06, 2005

a very useful engine

I thought of a chore I like!!!

Throwing away papers. I get such a thrill out of it. Whether I am throwing away a whole trash can full after letting it build up (as I too often do), or if I am just sorting and throwing away 3/4 of the daily mail, I find it very satisfying. I also enjoy the paperwork side of being a housewife, like making a shopping list or balancing the checkbook, but I have never felt like I could count those as chores since they weren't actually cleaning. But throwing away papers - I think that counts.

As I started cleaning the kitchen this morning, I thought, oh this is so boring; it is painful! But once I got started, in a rhythm, and turned on some music, it wasn't so bad. I think the anticipation of the housework and just breaking the soil - finding a place to start - is much worse than the middle and end. I actually like the end. It makes me feel very useful and good about myself to look at my spotless kitchen. I like looking at the cabinet doors and knowing that behind them everything is organized and in place, and seeing the counters swept clean. For a moment, I get a sense of completion, if only until the next meal time. This is rare in the life of a stay-at-home mom.

Saying that I felt useful made me think of Jacob's Thomas the Tank Engine videos. I thought they were so funny at first, but now they have become very endearing to me. The topmost values on the island of Sodor (the location of Thomas's rail line) are being useful, being on time, being dependable, working hard. Not such bad values for the rest of us. I think it actually is very important to feel useful - even if it means doing housework to get there. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment