Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I haven't posted for a while because I guess I haven't thought of anything profound or humorous to say. But I thought it was time for an update, anyway.

I was talking recently with the girls at my Bible study about how hard it is to make friends once you have kids. Moms can get together during the day, but so much energy is focused on monitoring the kids that not a lot of bonding can take place. And husbands are not fond of being left alone with the kids in the evening while we make new friends (wives aren't either when the situation is reversed). Once the kids are in bed, we want to have time with our spouses. I am starting to understand why so many couples seem to not have friends they hang out with during their child raising years. Family life can be so consuming, and it certainly should be the priority. But yet we need friends to lean on and to laugh with. So, I am going to make more of an effort. I think I will call one or more of the girls I have met to set up play dates. Or maybe our families could get together for dinner.

The interesting thing about starting over in a new city is we can be whoever we want to be, in a way. We have joked about how the new Jenny can be a great housekeeper and always on time, and the new Heath can be... well I forget what we said about Heath. That shows that I don't see his shortcomings nearly as easily as I see mine! But anyway, stereotypes are gone. We could completely change our interests, and no one would know. It is an interesting exercise to think of how we would recreate ourselves given the chance. Only time will tell if it is really possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment