Saturday, May 15, 2010

wonderful things

I have decided that minimally invasive surgery is one of the most wonderful modern inventions. It's hard to believe that two days ago, a surgeon cut into my abdomen in 4 places and inserted tools by which he, essentially, dissected my internal anatomy. Granted, the incision sites are pretty sore, like one would expect, but I am still amazed that I can be sitting up and walking around so shortly after surgery! Also amazing: modern painkillers. I let the pain medicine run out a bit yesterday morning and realized just how much it was helping. I am back on schedule and determined not to stretch the time between doses again for another day or two.

The last couple of days, I have been keenly aware and appreciative of the multitude of things making me comfortable despite recovering from surgery. My cushy recliner, a TV tray to hold all my necessities, my iPhone that allows me to check email, download a book, and listen to music all while confined to my chair, a sleep mask, earplugs, fuzzy socks, and my favorite tower fan blowing on me lightly through the just-right weight of my blanket. Then, on top of all these comfortable arrangements, I have families from our church bringing us delicious meals! And Heath's team from work sending me a vase of beautiful flowers! I feel like a princess.

I have also gotten to experience the wonderful feeling of walking into the kitchen and seeing a shiny, empty sink, cleared and washed counters, and a swept floor, and appreciating that someone else has made it happen. The fact that I wasn't allowed to be up doing it myself, so I could not have been expected to take on the responsibility, allows me to enjoy it more fully, guilt-free.

Thanks to all of you, my friends and family, who wished me well, prayed for me, encouraged me, and are now helping during my recovery. I truly appreciate you!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you're being taken care of and feeling pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete