Tuesday, March 31, 2009

personalities

Betsy posted on her blog today about the personality test she took recently, and how her result had changed from what it was in high school. I was shocked when I saw her post, because for the last two evenings, Heath and I have been discussing personality profiles, and I was planning on posting today some thoughts about it. That's easy for me to claim now, but it really is true. I didn't just steal her idea. :-)

Unlike Betsy, my personality profile hasn't changed. The description of the INFP from personalitypage.com describes me really well, with just a few things that are off because I am not purely "P"erceiving, and at times lean toward "J"udging. Here are some of the descriptions that I thought were particularly true of me: (I wanted to just copy the quotes from the article, but apparently that is illegal?)

INFP's are seeking meaning in life, purpose, truth, connections.

INFP's are idealists and perfectionists. They usually have very high standards and are hard on themselves. They may have trouble working with a group because others' standards aren't as high, or it is hard for them not to be in control. Their idealism and perfectionism can paralyze them if they don't learn to balance it with reality.

INFPs are intuitive. They especially use their intuition to guide them about people.

INFP's are generally thoughtful and considerate. They care deeply about people and are genuinely interested in them; they are good at listening and putting people at ease. However, they usually are not able to express their deep caring very well verbally and are awkward and uncomfortable when they try. Instead, they are often good writers and are able to define and express their feelings very well in written form.

INFPs hate conflict because of their focus on feelings. Conflict makes them feel terrible, and they can only focus on the fact that they don't want to feel terrible. Because conflict is so upsetting to INFPs, they are often illogical and irrational in conflict situations; they may have outbursts in which they throw out fact after fact which are not logically true. In contrast to this personal difficulty with conflict, INFPs are often able to help others work out their differences because of their intuitive understanding of other people's perspectives and feelings and their genuine care for others and desire to help them.

INFP's projects or interests can become a "cause" for them. Although they are not detail-oriented generally, they will cover every possible detail for the cause they are interested in and will become passionate about it.

You can see the entire description at personalitypage.com/INFP.html. The stuff about conflict seems especially true to me (and Heath agreed a little too enthusiastically). It's funny to see someone write a definition of a personality type that describes even the parts of my personality that I have always thought didn't go together. I really care a lot about people, so why can't I express it to them in person? And why can't I handle conflict calmly and gracefully with those same people I care so much about? I am such an idealist and perfectionist, in theory and in specific areas I become obsessed about, but overall I am not good at making sure everything gets done (does this fall under "not detail oriented"?). Well, apparently it's a whole group of people who are like me. Who knew?

P.S. - I would LOVE to hear what personality type you are and what about the description fits you the most. :-)

5 comments:

  1. I think most of that is very accurate :-)

    Especially the positive stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cody and i were just talking about personality changes, too. i just took the dr phil* test on fb and it said i was a "shy worrier". at first that struck me as incredibly odd and embarassing! but the more i think about it, the more i can see how i might have evolved into that role over the years.

    it would be interesting to take these tests from the place of living out of my spirit and then from living out of the HS in me. one probably looks more like me, but one probably looks more like how God is shaping me, teaching me...how I want to be.

    *highly accurate 10 questions, i'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, that is interesting! I definitely wouldn't expect you to be classified as a "shy worrier." I took a Dr. Phil personality test - I'm not sure if the same one - and came out as "the loyal friend."

    I would predict you are an ESFP on the Myers-Briggs test. Have you ever taken it? Keirsey.com has a test you can take. There is a description of the ESFP here: http://www.personalitypage.com/ESFP.html Does it sound like you to you?

    That is an interesting thought about taking the test with two different ideas of one's self in mind. I might have to go back and do that. Maybe that is why my P is so close to being a J when I take the test - cause I need to be a teensy bit more logical and grounded in reality. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I've decided about my personality shift is that it's just grief, and I'll get back to myself someday.

    Matthew pointed out that, when reading about the ESFJ, he thought that ESFJ's would be forced to move into another personality to deal with trauma, because there's just nothing there to deal with the world being bad. I certainly felt that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first spent some time with you, my perception of you closely followed the 4th section. "Thoughful and considerate.............." I don't know you well enough to tell about the other parts, but I know you are really sweet and caring!

    ReplyDelete